Tuesday, August 21, 2018

UPGRADED GALLEY.....Now What?

Is the glass half empty, or half full?

My husband is a positive kind of guy. He approaches life from the half full perspective. Me, I'm a realist, but I am a true believer in the power of Positive Thinking. If I can visualize it, I can usually create it, sometimes with help. I saw these shiny new appliances in a glossy magazine, and VOILA! Here they are in my galley. Thank You Honey! The stainless double drawer refrigerator is the greatest. No more standing on my head to find something. The Force 10 is the same stove I used in our last two boats. I love to cook. Usually. The heat in San Diego has been too dang hot. And too dang muggy. (Time to visualize air-conditioning.) Just as soon as fall brings us cooler weather I promise to unearth my beautiful green enamel Staub Dutch Oven, buried beneath our main salon settee, behind the huge bag of Sparky's preferred kibble, and cook up Darrell's favorite Beef Bourguignon. Until then, we BBQ, or go out for a bite until the sun sinks low and the summer breeze fills in. 
My idea of a summer meal.
Proof I can cook.
Darrell sported a pirate patch following eye surgery, but 
is better now. All the better to execute my visualizations.
The original galley in our sailboat, El Tiburon.
My improved El Tib galley with a new stove and granite.
I cook better in pretty surroundings.
Imagine the possibilities for the replacing the 
Faux Wood laminate on this countertop. 
Can you envision the TV disappearing into the cabinet?
I am busy sewing new curtains.

I have mentioned that we qualify as "Serial Boat Owners" after owning 17 collective boats.  Each new boat becomes our home with a few upgrades. Always new mattresses, a new Lofrans Windlass, new hatches where needed, and new Raritan electric heads, that can switch between fresh and salt water depending if we are at the dock or offshore. After these "essentials", we move on to updating light fixtures, replacing worn canvas, and next, reupholstering the settee, and eventually on to the galley. Darrell installed a new electric Nick Jackson dinghy lift powered by a solar panel. Our new dinghy is considerably heavier than the old one, rendering Scrimshaw listing to starboard. Granite counters in the main saloon will fix that problem! In between these jobs, Darrell applies many, many fresh coats of varnish to rails and doors, and on our Grand Banks 42, the stern and name placards. Everytime, we swear 'THIS IS THE LAST BOAT". Alas, we are Dreamers, and we love making a home new, land or sea. Darrell has to be BUSY, and I love designing. A match made in a boatyard!

Our trusty new horizontal Lofrans windlass. 
My Renaissance Man.
You're the anchor that keeps my feet on the ground.

Practice makes perfect.

We recently found, and are acquiring, my Father's Catalina 22, Viva Yo. My father taught me how to sail on Folsom Lake in Northern California. Twenty-one years after my father's death, we found Viva Yo, in her familiar spot near the FLYC. I contacted the gentleman who owns her, a friend of my father's who is turning 86 this year, and has decided it's time to sell her. Timing is everything yes? He has taken very good care of the old gal. My heart is very full at the prospect of holding Viva Yo's tiller once again in my hand as we glide through the water with full sails. I am sure Dad will be watching us with a BIG smile. We will also introduce our 3 year old grandson, Jack, to sailing our family heirloom.
Can you imagine the refurbishing possibilities?
I can. New paint, new canvas, and new cushions. No need for stove or refrigerator!

Stay Tuned.

Headed H O M E to the mountains tomorrow. Got a little HONEY DO list for my Honey.
First, we stop on the Central Coast and give JACK a big squeeze for a couple of days.



No comments:

Post a Comment