Wednesday, October 23, 2019

BACK TO THE FUTURE

It felt like Back to the Future with the return of my father's Catalina 22 (1973), Viva Yo, to my stewardship. This is the boat I learned to sail aboard under my father's guidance.  Viva Yo gave me experiences that nurtured 25,000 bluewater sailing miles for me. I transited the Panama Canal in a 30' Islander, and later sailed across the Atlantic in another tiny bit bigger 37' Swan. She also fueled a few passages to Mexico in a couple of different sailboats. I found Viva Yo 18 months ago sitting pretty much where my dad had left her 22 years ago, on the hard at the Folsom Lake Yacht Club. When my father died, our family passed Viva Yo on to my dad's younger sailing buddy, Bob. Decades later, following my heart, I found Bob, and made a plea to purchase her when he was ready to sell. At 86 years old, Bb decided the timing was good. Sadly, and resignedly, Bob signed paperwork making Vivo Yo mine.
 She's mine, it's official.
Darrell and Bob go over the mechanics of the original outboard.

We trailed her up to our Sierra house, and Darrell fell in love with her. He was excited to have sailing back in his life. He sat on her in our driveway for hours, plotting and planning her renovation, and future escapades.
Happy sailing man.
The next part of Viva Yo's journey was down to San Luis Obispo to meet grandson, Jack.
Jack will learn to sail aboard Viva Yo, just like I did. Darrell's dad built him a sailboat when he was a young lad. Now Darrell, would spruce up Viva Yo for Jack. First, we needed to line up some ducks. While we got our ducks in a row, Viva Yo patiently waited in a fellow Morro Bay Yacht Club member's yard.
Viva Yo enjoys a SLO spring.
Meanwhile, back aboard Scrimshaw in San Diego, Darrell continued to work while we put our Sierra house on the market. Our ulterior motive was to migrate to Puget Sound. In the interim we moved Scrimshaw to Ventura to be closer to Jack and his mom. We enjoyed lots of weekend visits, during alternative weeks Darrell buffed, spit, and polished Viva Yo. New interior cushions from the original Catalina Manufacturer in SoCal replaced the original Herculon fabric. A beautiful gray sail cover bearing the Catalina 22 insignia highlighted in red now graced her boom. New rigging was being planned.
Darrell gives Viva Yo a good bath,
 and prepares her for winter in our friends yard.

When the time was ready, we moved Viva Yo to Ventura Boatyard and began her transformation.
 Thar, she is, matey.
 Blood, sweat, and not many tears.
 Happiest messing with boats.
Really happy now.
A couple of days later, she was ready to splash.
 She floats!
Coming into our slip.
 Looking pretty sweet next to Scrimshaw.
 New plexiglass companionway doors.
 Spiffy sail cover
And now to surprise Jack!
 Success!
Jack was surprised and happy!
 Papa was pretty pleased as well.
And me? I was beyond H A P P Y. 
Filled with love beyond measure.
 And, making a connection between Jack and my father. 
And paying sailing forward to my Jack.
Our dream materialized.

The next chapter, was already planned and ready to be executed. We purchased a house on Puget Sound near the Hood Canal, and Viva Yo would sail the Salish Sea. So would Jack.
A rest spot in Monterey en route to Puget Sound.
Scrimshaw is next. 
On her own bottom this spring.
Monterey Bay
 Monterey has been a special place for me since my family moved to Palo Alto in 1959! My mother's cousin had a home in Del Monte Forest, just outside of Carmel, and when she and her husband traveled, my family would spend our summers staying in their home.
 Monterey Marina
Years ago, Darrell and I kept his Cal 34 sailboat here.
Sand Bar and Grill
We seldom come to Monterey without having a meal at our favorite little spot on the water. We spend so much on our time on boats on the water, it may seem a bit nuts that our favorite restaurants are always ones with Maria views.






No comments:

Post a Comment